Monday, February 1, 2010

Grendel: Red, White and Black #4

Written by: Matt Wagner
Art by: see below

The final issue of this anthology goes out whit a bang. These are some of the best Hunter Rose Grendel stories I have ever read. Just wish that Matt Wagner had drawn one for this issue, but this series and its predecessor were founded on the spirit of collaboration and a love for the character. Besides, Matt just finished up a 8-part series last year on this character - that was both written and drawn by him. We'll get to that one, but I need a break from the Hunter Rose stories. They are fun, and a good read, but I like the Comico run a bit better. Less noir - more sci-fi; you'll see what I mean. Now to the issue at hand:

Evidence of the Devil - Cliff Chang

A detective walks in on one of Grendel's first hits for Teddy Ciccone. All the action takes place in flash backs, and the reader is left with the bloody aftermath. Good story - simple, clean, perfect for the eight pages allotted. I liked the art, especially the use of the red background for the flashbacks. Good way to open this issue.

Devil's Retribution - Farel Dalrymple

This story deals with what happened to Stacy after Grendel and Argent's first fight in her uncle's garden. She was kidnapped by a pervert, and Grendel comes to her rescue. I liked this story, but felt it was a bit unnecessary. All this is covered in Devil By the Deed; do we really need to hear what transpired? I'm not complaining, as it is a good story, I'm just saying that it feels like old territory.

Rat on the Devil - Darick Robertson

A stollie is dropped into the hands of Argent in the gruesome story. We get a glimpse of just how ruthless the Wolf can be (he bites off two of the dude's fingers). And the story pays off in a big way in the end. The art is a bit muddled, but I can see way as this story takes place in an alley even rats wouldn't call home. Good stuff.

Devil's Sentence - John K. Snyder III

Grendel's crew pulls off a heist using an outside source - who turns out to be not quite what he seems. Need less to say, lying to the Devil is not a good idea. Cleanest art I've seen in this title - John Snyder's Grendel is perfect. Another really enjoyable read..

Devil's Eulogy - Michael Zulli

Now this is what an ending should be like; we finally get a glimpse of Hunter's death after it is so briefly passed over in Devil By the Deed. Hunter, to the last breath, taunts the now paralysed Argent, telling him "Because of desire, there was Grendel. Because of myself he was majestic. Because of you, he was transcendent." That cuts deep. This is a story that crowns this anthology in greatness. Best in the book, if not the whole series. (I love me some tragedy)

Buy this book - it's awesome. Get it here.

Well, that wraps up another anthology series from Matt Wagner and friends starring Hunter Rose as Grendel. I think it's time I put this character to bed, as my long boxes houses many other gems. Until I decide what to read tomorrow, happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment