Friday, November 26, 2010

Grendel - Devil's Vagary #0

Well, after the brief Batman intermission, I think it's time to get back the character that I started this blog with - Grendel.  More accurately, the original Grendel, Hunter Rose. 

My love affair with this character began when I was a freshman in high school.   At the time, I had an unhealthy addiction to everything X and Magic: The Gathering.  I was at my local comic shop (R.I.P. Oscar's Comics) and on a whim picked up a copy of the Grendel Primer.  From that moment on I knew I was destined to collect every issue of this series.  This is the last one I tracked down. 

It's a strange little one shot issue that tells the story of a man who tries to play the Devil for a fool and ends up paying the price.  It involves a botched arms trade and a kidnapped woman.

This is probably the weakest Grendel story I've read.  It's only 16 pages - but the art is decent.  Lots of play between light and shadow.  But the story is a little weak. 

Be back here tomorrow for the beginning of the most recent tale of the original devil.  Until then, Happy reading!

Credits - Matt Wagner: Writer
               Dean Motter: Art

No comments:

Post a Comment